How to get married in Canada

How to get married in Canada

  1. Apply for a license. In the following provinces both of you need to apply for the marriage license: Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Northwest Territory, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon. In the following provinces either party can apply for the marriage license: British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.
  2. Locate your documents

Each locality has different paperwork requirements, but in general you will need: proof of age, photo id, and birth certificates. If one of you has been previously married you must show proof of death or divorce. You must have the original divorce decree when you apply for the marriage licence. A copy is not accepted.

  1. Wait

Quebec has a 20 day waiting period between the time you apply for a license and when you can get married. Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Northwest Territory, Nunavut, Ontario and Prince Edward Island have no waiting period. Others vary from 24 hours to five days. Check with the local municipality.

  1. Pay

Marriage license fees vary from place to place. You also may need to pay the officiant and for a marriage certificate.

  1. Decide who will perform the ceremony

You can get married in Canada with either a civil or religious ceremony. Again, different regions have different rules about who can perform civil ceremonies. Most communities have marriage commissioners, judges or justices of the peace to perform your wedding.

Religious clergy who are registered to perform marriages in Canada can marry you in a religious ceremony.

  1. Step to the Aisle and say “I do!”
  2. What if you want to divorce?

Although Canada has no residency requirement for marriage, it does have one for divorce. At least one partner must reside in Canada for one year to be eligible for divorce. American courts, who do not recognize the marriage, are not likely to grant you a divorce.

  1. Check out local regulations

As per the City of Mississauga:

Marriage Licences

The marriage licence will be issued upon attendance at the City Clerk’s Office if all documentation is in order.

Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre
City of Mississauga, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga

(Effective February 20, 2006)  Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed statutory holidays)

$135.00 – effective January 01, 2007 (subject to change without notice). Payable by Cash, Debit, Visa, Master Card, American Express.


– Original birth certificate
– Current passport
– Canadian citizenship
– Current driver’s licence
– Record of Landing
– Permanent Residency card
– Any change of name certificate

NOTE: This identification must be provided for both individuals. Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator.

Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent.  A form (Form 6) must be completed and signed by both parents/guardians. For further information call 905-896-5000.

The ORIGINAL or COURT CERTIFIED COPY (not photocopies) of the DECREE ABSOLUTE or CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE must be shown to the licence issuer. Please note that a Judgement issued by the Court is not acceptable proof of divorce.

If a divorce was granted outside Canada, please request additional forms, which provide further information and instructions by calling 905-896-5000.

If you do not understand English or French, you must provide an interpreter. The interpreter will be required to provide appropriate identification.

An Ontario marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.  There is no waiting period in the Province of Ontario to be married once the  licence is issued.

It is up to the individuals to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice. 

Located on the 2nd floor, Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.  Reservations may be made in person at the Central Booking Office, located on the ground floor, Central Library, 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West (directly opposite the Civic Centre) or by telephone at 905-615-4100.


  1. You cannot marry a same-sex partner in Canada if you are already married.
  2. You cannot get married in Canada if you have a civil union in Vermont or Connecticut.
  3. Even if you marry in Canada, the United States government is not required to recognize your marriage. The Federal Defense of Marriage Act defines marriage as solely between a man and a woman. Many states have passed similar legislation.
  4. Getting married in Canada will not allow you to sponsor your spouse for S. citizenship.
  5. After getting married, consult legal advice before filing your taxes.

What You Need:

  • A willing partner
  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of Divorce or spouse’s death if applicable
  • Social Security Numbers
  • Written parental consent if under 18
  • Canadian money for any fees
  • Two Witnesses